Friday, October 5, 2007

Field Trips, Activities and Milestones

So, you know we're heavily into participating in our homeschool co-op. That, in and of itself, is like doing "regular" school for one day and the homework for the week. On top of that, we're keeping up (mostly) with our reading, writing and arithmetic at home. (on top of previously ranted about dealings with chaotic and wanna-be independent children!) In the midst of all that, we have gone to an Old Time Horse Farmers Gathering, and tomorrow we are headed out to a Corn Maze, a couple of weeks ago just my husband and I went to the BEST Dave Matthew's Band concert EVER! At Ashleigh Heritage Farms, we got to ride in covered wagons pulled by mules, help core, peel and slice apples for apple cider, sauce and butter, watch apple butter being cooked over an open fire, and drink fresh apple cider. We could've, but chose not to, help plough the field with mules. If we'd gotten there before the cream ran out, we also could've watched butter being churned and cows being milked. But, as most of you know, we are NOT early risers. So, we missed that part. On the road to the Old Time Horse Farmers Gathering, there is a naturally occurring spring, called Healing Springs. We ended up filling our jugs with water and then playing in the creek for a couple of hours, before heading out to dinner at Miller's Bread Basket, right on Main Street in Blackville. The kids and I thought the food was awesome! Philip enjoyed the Peanut Butter Chocolate cake, and so did Tyler, while I had the Shoo-fly Pie, a favorite from when I was in college and lived close to Yoder's Dutch Kitchen in Abbeville, SC. It was one of our best days as far as food and friends go. :) The kids don't even know yet that tomorrow is the Corn Maze field trip. Philip still enjoys a little warning before we go somewhere, but Tyler has a hard time figuring out if he's really interested in participating in things until he's right in the middle of it all. So, I like to wait and just let them know what we're up to right about when we're all loaded in the van, strapped in and ready to go.
Tonight out with my girlfriends was pretty nice. I haven't had a good break from the kids since before Ed went to work in Atlanta, just after the concert. I ended up realizing that Philip truly is a mini-teenager. I am quite sure it is so inappropriate for me to be writing of such things to an audience that knows him, but according to some tell-tale signs listed in a few books, and according to friends with older children, my first boy is at the very beginning of a major milestone: The Onset Of Puberty. So, I got some help in picking out the most appropriate book to help myself and my child and even my husband understand exactly what is happening to our 8-1/2 year old, (Isn't that WAY too young??? But even the book says "for 8-12 year olds!) I got to cry openly and be supported by knowing and understanding moms, and most of all, I got to take a deep breath and prepare for this new adventure. I wonder how many times a Mother says "He's not a baby anymore, is he?" Amazon.com: The Boy's Body Book: Everything You Need to Know for Growing Up YOU (Boys World Books): Books: Kelli Dunham,Steve... There's the link to the book I chose. So THAT explains the emotional roller coaster he's been on lately, and the extreme reluctance to do anything we request, and the sudden intense desire for him to have "time to myself without the little kids MOM!" Phew, glad it's just a phase. Boo-hoo-hoo!! I will enjoy every precious moment I have left with him before I am just the lady who worries where he is and that he comes home to have his laundry washed by. Thank God the time doesn't actually go that fast while you're in it, only when you are imagining the future and looking back on the past. It's late, off to bed I go, remembering the moment that sweet boy was born and all the hopes and fears and dreams that raced through my heart and mind the moment he was put in my arms. Please God let me be the Mom he needs me to be for him and not somebody he decides to distrust and feel misunderstood by!!!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

They grow up way too fast, don't they?!