Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Audition Update

There were two theatres I auditioned with last week. One is a new theatre to the area, and only looking for a cast for an ongoing ensemble. That is the original one I planned on auditioning for. I found out about the second auditions, happening on the very same night, at a head shot party I went to at another theatre. I ended up getting there too late to get a free photo shoot and head shot, but I did get my resume out to all the local theatres that had representatives there, and I met almost all the local artistic directors. Yeah baby! So, the plan was to attend the head shot party from 11-2, attend the 4:30 audition in a different part of town and then head home. But, it turns out the theatre hosting the head shot party was having there ONCE YEARLY auditions that evening at 6:00. I find it very significant that just as I decide to jump back into theatre, everything presents itself to me all in one day. I couldn't have hoped for better assurance that this is the thing I should be doing with my life! I was pretty floppy at the first audition, incredibly nervous, and I have never seen anything shake as much as my own left hand as I held my monologue book and did my first audition. I hadn't intended to have to hold the stinking book, but I just couldn't memorize the whole thing in time. Of course, that is because I procrastinated not only until the night before, but till LATE the night before. And made a resume from start to finish also. Did I say night? Ha! I meant, very EARLY the morning of. Hehe. The husband-wife director team sent me out with a part of their script to look over and I came back in and did great! I used my really-funny-made-up-but-sounds-real Eastern European accent, and even sang Yankee Doodle in that accent for them!!! They were cracking up! I couldn't believe it. I was so psyched up!! The best part, I think, was the crotch scratching. Hehe. My monologue was about a girl whose boyfriend gave her crabs. She is trying to compose a dear john letter to him by talking into a tape recorder. One of the lines says "you need to get tested too. or else, God knows how many women will be scratching their crotches needlessly." Well. After 12 years completely out of the business, I had to do something to get their attention; as I said that line, I stood and scratched my crotch!! I still can't stop laughing. I didn't laugh when I did it, but each time I think of it I crack up!! The directors laughed at all the right places and I was sure I had landed my spot in their ensemble. I went on to the next audition, and on the advice of the first director team, I cut out about half of the monologue. It went much smoother, and they still laughed at the right spots. Of course, who wouldn't? Ha! But that time, when they laughed, I wasn't expecting it, and I got stuck on my lines and had to just repeat part of the monologue. I still think it was good. So, today makes a week and a day and I hadn't heard back from either theatre. I didn't think I was supposed to call them, but my manager of a husband insisted I must. From a manager's standpoint, it's the only way to get in. Gotta love him! I finally built up enough courage to call this afternoon. I called the director for the unexpected auditions first...the one where they do auditions only once a year. She said she was glad I called, she had my stuff right in front of her. But. But there wasn't anything for me this season as far as being cast in something. BUT, they do need stage managers for the bigger shows. Woohoo!! That is pretty damn exciting. It definitely assuaged the initial stab of disappointment at not being cast. I told her I'd do anything she needed and to just let me know. Next, I called the newer theatre, the one that is looking for a small ensemble group. Andrea explained that they are still doing auditions, that they have discussed me several times, they think I did a great job, especially after they sent me out and I came back in acting with their script, and that she will definitely call me as soon as she knows exactly where to put me. I feel like I'm finally not the last person waiting to be picked for the kick ball teams!!! Woohoo!! So, hopefully I'll be doing something within the next month or so in a theatre, in with a cast and crew, part of a team, that has absolutely nothing to do with breastfeeding, parenting, or any of the other things that have been my life these last 9 years!! You can't even imagine how exciting that is to me, for as much as I have wrapped my whole world around my husband and children, theatre has always been my passion since college! Thank you Dave for making me get up and audition the very first time, thank you Monique for being the best teacher and director any actor could have, and thank you Universe for leading me back to it all! And thank you my manager husband, for insisting I call them back.

Now, if this medication shtuff could just work itself out, life would be pretty damn good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for you!! Sounds exciting!

journeying said...

You go, Tracee! How brave of you--I would have chickened out. I miss the creative side of life...

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you!!! That's awesome, Tracee!

Anonymous said...

You GO Girl! Can't wait 'til you're complaining about being SO BUSY doing shows back-to-back! :o)
Got home from Fiddler rehearsal at 10:30 tonight after a long and frustrating day. OY! I find that theater is a great compliment to the "other" areas of my life... uses very different muscles. ;o)