Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Running Out of Gas

(continued from previous entry). Anyway, sorry about that. It wasn't even the best Medium I'd ever seen, LOL. So, we had coasted into a gas station, but we weren't close enough to pump gas into the car. I put the car in park, turned it off, with the hazard lights on and got out of the car. I must have looked pretty desperate, standing there holding my cell phone and trying to figure out if I should call someone for help or hope that one out of the million customers at the station (it was just after 5pm) would come to my rescue. I normally have absolutely no problem asking for help when I know I need it. But I ran out of gas, how stupid is that?? Ha! So I had been catching people's eyes, and right as I started to call a friend on the phone these two guys, from two different cars, walked over to me and offered to push the car to a tank. Do you know how hard a power steering wheel is to turn when the power isn't on???? The reason I wanted to tell you this story, that could be anyone's story, is because of the sweet relief that washed over my almost 9 year old when the car cranked. I swear that kid carries the weight of the world on his shoulders! Apparently, Philip hadn't realized that the only reason we stalled out was because we were out of gas. And I, in my dazed confusion, didn't think to talk to the kids about what was happening. That boy was wiping away tears of relief and thanking God out loud for the help we had gotten! Which I hope turns out to be a good memory for the boys, in case they ever see anyone who needs help! I explained to them that now it is our job to make sure we help out someone who needs it and they seemed to receive that information well. Not that we aren't helping others already, but I just had to take the opportunity to zoom in on his feeling of relief! I of course was just as relieved as he was, and joined him in thanking the Universe and our guardian angels for putting those guys right where we needed them right when we needed them! Of course, I can never leave well enough alone, and once I got started explaining how God works things out so that we have help when we needed it, I started questioning myself about all the times it seems He doesn't seem to be giving us answers or putting help in our path. So I went ahead and explained to whoever was still listening at that point, (i know my kids and probably others i know tune me out w/out my ever knowing it, LOL!) that when it does seem as if we are stranded, or not getting what we think we need, then there is a lesson of some sort to be learned from whatever it is we're having to struggle through. I guess God knew I didn't need a lesson about filling up the tank right away instead of trying to squeeze every last ounce out of it! Hehe.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

What a great perspective to pass on to your kids, Trace. Sometimes we need those reminders to be trusting and thankful!
Also, neat knitting projects!

Jenny said...

Aw, I'm so glad someone came to your rescue! I hate that helpless feeling...